Wimbish in 1937

This is the entry copied for Wimbish copied from Kelly's Directory of Essex 1937.

WIMBISH and THUNDERLEY 
Wimbish is a large and very scattered parish, 5 miles south-east from Saffron Walden station on a branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and 5 north from Thaxted, in the Saffron Walden division of the county, Uttlesford hundred, Saffron Walden petty sessional division, rural district and county court district, and in Saffron Walden rural deanery, archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmaford diocese. The church of All Saints consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and south porch: the: tower, rebuilt of brick after its partial destruction by lightning in 1756 but taken down in 1883, contained 3 bells, of which the tenor is dated ‘1734 and the treble 1599; this last is inscribed in black letter: lohannes Clarke Hane fecit Campanam, and hangs by itself in a small modern belfry in the churchyard: the porch has a Norman arch, and retains a stoup: in the church is a memorial to Mrs. Mary Wisemsn, ob. 1654, and near the vestry entrance is a small but fine brass to Sir John de Wantone, ob. 1347, and Ellen, his wife, within the head of a mutilated cross: of the palimpsest brass to Joan, widow of - Strangman, c.1575 - lost in 1868, a fragment is now in the British Museum: the reverse shows that it was cut out of a large Flemish brass, c.1420: there is some fine glass of the 15th century in the vestry windows, and memorial windows to Mrs. Penn and Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Walsh, of Birmingham. The carved oak rood screens are of Pre-Reformation date, and on the south side over the porch are portions of the original Norman windows: there is also a tablet bearing the ten commandments, with the date 1568: the church was partially restored and the chancel rebuilt in the Decorated style in 1868: there are 320 sittings. A. war memorial, containing the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, was erected in the church In 1920. The register dates from the year 1572, and contains a list of the vicars from 1361, and rectors from 1325. The living is a vicarage, with that of Thunderley annexed, joint net yearly value £285, in­cluding glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. U. N. Walsh, of Chelmsford, end held since 1937 by the Rev. William David Grifliths B.Sc. of the University of Wales. The trustees of the late Miss Gibson, Mr. Harry Wiseman and Brasenose College, Oxford, are the prin­cipal landowners. The soil is principally clay, in some parts of a gravelly nature; subsoil, blue clay. The crops are principally on the four-course shift. The extent of the united parishes is 4,916 acres of land and 4 of water; the population in 1931 was 617.

THUNDERLEY, once a distinct parish, was in 1423 united with Wimbish: the parish church, which stood on the left of the road leading from Thaxted to Walden, has long ceased to exist, but the foundations are still to be traced. Thunderley Hall, now a farm house, is 2¾ miles west, near the road from Thaxted to Saffron Walden.

WIMBISH GREEN is 1½ miles south. There is a mission room at HOWLET END for nonconformists, built in 1874. The old parochial school at Tye Green is now used as a Sunday school and for other church purposes.

Post, M. 0. & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Saffron Walden

Private Residents
Griffiths Rev. William David B.Sc. (vicar), Vicarage

Hartley Miss, Little Amberden

Leadbetter Claud, The Old Forge

Commercial
Marked thus farm : 150 acres or over.

Abbott George, farm bailiff to H. H. Grose esq. Wimbish hall

Acker Arthur, farmer, Aldridges

Austin Thos. Geo. frmr. Joyce’s frni

Blandon Herbert Stanley, farmer, Pepples

Brooks A. H. & Son, motor & general engineers, metal workers, cars for hire, radiator repairers, Brick House garage. T N Radwinter 10

Buck Benj. & Son (H.E.Buck, propr.), shopkprs. Radwinter 12

Bugg Oscar, farmer, Broad oaks

Bush Alfd. Hy. beer retlr. Lower grn

Cargill Thos. frmr. New House frm

Chapman Fred, farmer, Stonards A.. Hodges farms

Grose Hy. Hicks, farmer, Wimbish hall. T N Radwinter 2

Haigh Wm. Hawkins, farmer, Tiptofts (letters should be addressed Sewards End; Saffron Walden). Saffron Walden 592

Hare Jn. Bunyan, farmer, Freemans,

Kettley Sidney Cleveland, farmer, Abbotts farm. T N Saffron Walden 149

McQueen John, fnrmer, Rowney Corner farm

Mansfield Frederick, farmer, Wimbish parsonage

Marshall Jn. farmer, Little Gowers

Mynott Edgar, baker

Plumb Jn. Stephen, farmer, Thun­dersley hall Saffron Walden 174

Raven Harold Arthur, farmer, Gar­rett & Notteges farms

Raven Jn. farmer, Maypole farm

Saville George, farmer, Gunters frm

Sermon Wilfred Ernest, farmer, Higham farm

Stalley Joseph, house decorator

Star lnn (Lawrence Coe),Howlett End

Stock Herbert J. farmer, Lower frn*

Stock Walter, poultry dealer

Townsend Joseph, farmer, Rayments

Village Hall, Mill Road

Wells Herbert Charles & Sons. farmers, Hoys farm (letters should be addressed Radwinter, Saffron Walden)

White Hart P.H. (Edwin Pascoe Ursaville Jeffrey)

Wiseman Jsph. & Son, farmers; Burnt ho. Saffron Walden 24

Wiseman Harry, farmer, Pinkney’s, Elms & Wesley’s farms. T N Radwinter 15

Wright John, blacksmith, White Hart Green